Electrical Engineering Department is one of the major departments, created since the establishment of the institute. The department conducted long term teacher training programmes for polytechnic teachers under the staff development programmes for a number of years and provided training to a large number of teachers in the polytechnics of the northern region. With the institute being raised to the level of national institute, the department had been conducting a large number of courses in the various emerging areas for the faculty members of Engineering colleges all over the country. As a result of the various staff development programmes, the trained teachers have gradually elevated to senior positions and have by now taken up higher responsibilities. The department has also been very active in conducting the need based short term training programmes every year as per the institute Operational plan. Since last 24 years, the department has been very successfully offering Master of Engineering Course in Electrical Engineering with specialization in Instrumentation and Control. The present intake for the above programme is 18. In addition, the department is also conducting ME Electrical Engineering (Instrumentation & Control) Modular Programme since 2005 with an intake of 30.
The institute has been granted the status of being a research centre for Panjab University, Chandigarh and Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar. Under this scheme 15 research scholars acquired their Ph.D degree and presently 8 scholars are pursuing their research work in various areas of Electrical Engineering.
The department was granted the status of National Resource Centre (NRC), under the ARPIT Scheme in which two MOOCS courses were launched on SWAYAM platform. The department was the first among all NRCs in the country to launch ARPIT based MOOCS course on "Real Time Power System Analysis and Smart Grid" in 2018. The course got a rating of 4.7 out of 5. Another ARPIT based MOOCS Course on "Big Data Analytics for Smart Grid" was launched in 2019, which was rerun in 2020. Under these courses, around 100 videos were made by inviting experts from eminent industries such as IBM, Opal-RT and IITs.
The department has produced a large number of instructional materials both print and non-print for the benefit of teachers and students of technical institutions. To mention a few of the important materials, there are text books in Electrical Machines, Electrical Engineering Material, Electrical Design and Drawing, Industrial Electronics and Control, Motor Control, Basic Electronics, Projects in Electrical and Electronics Engineering etc, and laboratory manuals on Electrical Machines, Basic Electrical Engineering, Industrial Electronics, Contactor Control of Electric Drives etc. Apart from the print materials, the department has also produced about 30 video films on various topics pertaining to electrical engineering, 26 charts, 3 experimental kits and a number of work books and student manuals. The text books and manuals have been published through renowned publishers.
The department also conducts tailor made training programmes for industry and other working professionals in various thrust areas. The department faculty is actively involved in action research.
DEPARTMENT VISION AND MISSION
- To evolve as centre of excellence for quality education, training and research with integrity and ethical standards in the field of Electrical Engineering.
- To offer demand-driven industry relevant, value-based education and training in the area of Electrical Engineering.
- To develop need-based curricula and instructional materials in the area of Electrical Engineering to enhance effectiveness of teaching-learning process.
- To collaborate with industry and research institutions to undertake multi-disciplinary research and development with focus on Electrical Engineering.
- To offer consultancy and extension services to industry, technical education systems and society as a whole.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
To equip the graduates to excel in modern industry, teaching, higher education and research exhibiting leadership qualities
To transform graduates to provide solutions in interdisciplinary areas involving Instrumentation applications
To improve the communication skills, willingness to work in groups and to develop multidisciplinary approach in problem solving and exhibiting leadership qualities
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- PO1: An ability to independently carry out research /investigation and development work to solve practical problems
- PO2: An ability to write and present a substantial technical report/document
- PO3: Students should be able to demonstrate a degree of mastery over the area as per the specialization of the program. The mastery should be at a level higher than the requirements in the appropriate bachelor program
- PO4: Ability to apply appropriate techniques and resources embedded with modern engineering tools to solve complex engineering problems in instrumentation, control and electrical engineering critically to handle emerging technologies related to industries.
- PO5: Ability to demonstrate leadership and skilful project management capability in multidisciplinary environments.
OBJECTIVES OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To conduct need-based short term training programmes in various areas of Electrical Engineering for teachers of Polytechnics and Engineering Colleges all over India.
- To run Masters Degree programmes in Regular and Modular modes with specialization in Instrumentation & Control in order to upgrade the qualifications of the faculty of Polytechnics and Engineering Colleges. Recently the nomenclature of the degree has been changed and the new name of the degree is M.E in Electrical Engineering (Instrumentation and Control).
- To undertake research projects by guiding research scholars in their ME and Ph.D theses.
- To undertake appropriate sponsored projects from various agencies for the enhancement of Technical Education in the country.
- To produce instructional materials, both print and non-print, for the benefit of teachers and students of technical institutions.
- To conduct tailor made training programmes for industry and other working professionals in various thrust areas of Electrical Engineering for upgrading their knowledge.
- To conduct in house training and Industry-Institute interaction programmes to upgrade the knowledge of internal faculty.
- To design, develop, review and modify curricula of various programmes in the current as well as in the emerging areas in order to fulfil identified needs.
- To develop relevant learning resources like text books, laboratory manuals, self-learning modules, multi-media packages, etc.
- To undertake research projects for expanding the horizons of the department in order to reflect changing technologies.